Thursday, April 28, 2011

Girl's Positive Views on Their Bodies



The following quotations are adolescent girl's thoughts on their body from a study I read on body satisfaction and body dissatisfaction and on comparing their bodies to others.

  • Danielle: "I know I am fat, but I like that, it doesn't bother me, I can wear what I want to wear and I've got good friends"  (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006). 
  • Nicola: "I don't let it put me down, because I am quite happy the way I am. If I wasn't happy I may find comparisons more depressing. I don't keep it on my mind, I don't let it make me too sad" (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006).
Thoughts About Girls in the Media
  • Claire: "You see those little stick figures. Personally I think that is stupid and it doesn't influence me. I don't want to be that thin" (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006).
  • Olivia: "I think they need to be more realistic- people take the media so seriously-I don't pay much attention to it because I know it's so exaggerated" (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006).
  • Tammy: "Positive messages do come out of ads, which display larger women, for example, the Hestia bra ads" (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006).
  • Jacqui: "They don't normally have anyone above a size 10, it's kind of saying 'you should be this size; they should be presenting different sizes" (McCabe, Ricciardelli, Ridge, 2006).

No comments:

Post a Comment